.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Being your place on the web to make Pat feel all warm and snuggly... or just a place to type random text... ANYTHING to get those badgers, mushrooms and African snakes out of my head!

Monday, June 19, 2006

How the Fur Flew 

Over the weekend I paused briefly in my world cup obsession and attended a non-Enigma live game. I can't say I really knew what to expect. After the great reaction that the community seemed to have to ENIGMA at the LARPY awards (I know, I'm fooling myself), I thought it would be nice to share our style of play with the world. For some reason I just assumed that whatever style of live roleplay I was getting myself into, it would be totally different and us Enigmans would stick out like a sore thumb.

And I was half fearing that it was a furry game. As in "World Con" furry.

Well, I was wrong. This other group has a lot in common with us. Theatrical style of play, mini-mission format (the "Richard format" I call it), uberplots, sub-groups with common goals, and above all else, a party atmosphere (with alcohol!).

Oh, and best of all, GREAT role players. Sure, there were some wallflowers. Some friends of friends who seemed like they had been dragged along to this event. Some folks who wanted to min-max the system. But they were as easy to steer clear of as they are in any game WE play.

And the concept was pretty cool... shapechangers trying to save their own hides amidst an epic battle (WWII). They don't care about normal people and they're lucky if they even care for each other. Even though they KNOW each other very well. (I found it odd that everyone's hidden form and secret agenda was announced at the beginning of the game... that was probably the HUGEST departure from a so-called Enigma game).

Now, I understand that this group had a lot of White Wolf system gamers in it. And some of you will point out that I have in the past poked fun at such groups. But perhaps I was wrong.

So, my dearest wish is that Enigma combine efforts with this group and produce some REALLY good live games in the future. Perhaps with a limit on how many characters are allowed on each mini-mission. That's probably my biggest bitch about the game. Running 12 people through a massive combat or allowing 8 people to attempt a simple rescue that should only take 5 minutes since it is an important "move the game along" plot point.

All in all, though, a great game!

(I still reserve the right to cross my arms at World Con and wail "I'm in the Umbra! I'm in the Umbra!")


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?