.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Being your place on the web to make Pat feel all warm and snuggly... or just a place to type random text... ANYTHING to get those badgers, mushrooms and African snakes out of my head!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Dumb and Smart Movies 

Hey! I hit 100 posts last time I posted. What a milestone. Yeah right.

---

Dap update: Completely avoided hand contact for a few days. Way to avoid the challenges of life!

---

I recommend the following DVDs:

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
I need to watch more of these. All it took was a documentary at my (dumb) level and now I am totally up to speed. Newspaper articles about Enron that used to perplex me now make sense. Amazing what a frame of reference does! Really good movie by the way. Now I want to see these guys burn in hell.

Doom
Oh, The Rock. How the mighty have fallen. Wait, he was never mighty! Still, the movie is marnigally fun. And the scene where they do 5 minutes of first person shooting is VERY cool. Well worth the rental. Watched that segment several times.

Skeleton Key
Dumb. There's one "Sixth Sense" moment and it's hardly amazing. It's almost a dumb one. Not worth the 2 hours leading up to it.

Red Eye
Cillian Murphy is cool. Creepy cool. Actually the opening scene could have easily been the opener for a decent sappy romance movie. He's quite charming. Rachel McAdams is ... eh. Just eh. The plot points are unapologetically contrived. The herione has ample opportunities to escape her predicament and the audience is expected to play dumb. REAL dumb. The plot holes are insultingly huge. And the budget was cearly minimal and that always detracts from a movie experience (unlsess it's an indy movie).

She's the Man
Awesome! Did I saw I was going in order of increasing lameness here? Nope. This adaptation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night is superb. Laughed my ass off. Intelligent comedy. Farce really. Not too many degrees removed from Three's Company. I went expecting to see the hot-and-I-just-checked-IMDB-to-make-sure-she's-old-enough-to-say-she's-hot-hot Amanda Bynes. But what I got was a smartly written gender switchy romp. Go see it.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?