.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Being your place on the web to make Pat feel all warm and snuggly... or just a place to type random text... ANYTHING to get those badgers, mushrooms and African snakes out of my head!

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Rev 

Vampires want darkness
Monsters want souls,
Spiders want corners
But you want it all.

I want you to enjoy the poetry of Jonathan Donahue and I want you to enjoy the music of Mercury Rev. It is my little gift to you.

http://www.mercuryrev.com/vibration/vibration.htm

Their new album is a godsend. It helps if you like alternative, Beatles-ey, XTC-kitschy, Jesus and Mary Chain-gloomy music.

Start off with track #3, "Across Yer Ocean". It's a perfect example of their style.

If you like that, move on to their more happy fare like "In a Funny Way" or the even lighter "Sudden Ray of Hope" from their 1995 album See You on the Other Side.

If that appeals to you, dive into their quirky side with "Diamonds" or "Racing the Tide"

Me, I simply love their wistful-becomes-majestic anthems along the lines of "Diamonds", "Tides of the Moon", "Opus 40" from the Deserter's Songs album, or my favorite track from the new album, "Black Forest"

Actually, my favorite Rev track of all time is not offered on the site. It's "Nite and Fog" and it is to die for (from the All Is Dream album).

Their first couple albums are a different bird. More noisey, off-the-cuff stuff. Oddball, but endearing cause I first got an earful of it back in my Dewdrops days.

Oh, just try it all. So nice of them to put so much of it online!

From me to you.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?