.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Being your place on the web to make Pat feel all warm and snuggly... or just a place to type random text... ANYTHING to get those badgers, mushrooms and African snakes out of my head!

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Grimm Reviews 

TO review the year in film, I will take the heavy handed approach of summing up the whole slate using three movies:

The year was entirely too "40 Year Old Virgin". It was potty mouthed and sophomoric (to be fair, I was watching the "unrated" version of the movie).

It was also unfortunately very "Brothers Grimm". A sad preponderance of its films went nowhere and served to do little more than confuse the viewer for two hours.

And perhaps worst of all, the year was entirely "King Kong". Too much hype and not enough delivery. I bought in, showed up and was the exact opposite of blown away. I felt a sucking sound where Hollywood used to be.

Next year does not bode any better. I hae seen previews of remakes to come and much much hoopla announcing how things will be better when we remember how great things used to be. Sadly, Hollywood is commenting on its own petering out when it makes such rehashes.

I'll say more at some other point, but for now I cannot point to more than a few movies that were truly superlative... Crash, Harry Potter 4, Squid and the Whale, The Sea Inside (though I really consider that a 2004 film).

Never thought I'd see the day I'd be hatin on Peter Jackson.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?