.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Being your place on the web to make Pat feel all warm and snuggly... or just a place to type random text... ANYTHING to get those badgers, mushrooms and African snakes out of my head!

Friday, December 31, 2004

Tea Leoni is still hot 

I recently saw the movie "Spanglish". I was dreading seeing it cause I had not heard any good reviews. All I knew was that it had a troubled production and that James L Brooks was not 100% happy about it. Also, Adam Sandler seemed to not like most of the photos from shoots they did. But still, it was the first poster I worked on at the new ad firm and I was anxious to break it in with a viewing.. no matter how bad it turned out to be.

It's damn good.
I loved it.

I had a similar reaction to it that I had to American Beauty... I was left in tears... partly due to the BIGTIME tearjerker storyline and ending (happy, not sad). But MOSTLY due to my awe over Brooks' filmmaking. I honestly get choked up over REALLY GOOD movie magic... cinematography, music, direction... editing. And of course writing.

Spanglish is about a family that just isn't hitting on all cyllinders. They weren't meant to be. But they are good people. They want things to work. But they are all too human. Paz Vega and daughter (forget the young actress' name) come into the picture and offer a sanity to Sandler's family life, but they also are all too human. The story is sweet and utterly real. At no point did I witness fakeness of characters except at those moments when the movie is lager than life -- as a movie should be. The dialogue is real... and when it isn't it is thoroughly in character nonetheless.

Sandler is wistful, comical and fun to hang out with.. you get the feeling that this is a character you could befriend. Funny, hip, but well-meaning even as he does really unwise things. fI you liked "Punch Drunk Love" you will appreciate Spanglish. That is for sure.

Tea Leoni is comical despite herself. I believe her character is supposed to be played that way, but I think a lot of people thought it was supposed to be serious. It can be interpreted either way. She looks utterly haggard as opposed to sexy. Some people I know think she simply has not aged well. I think it was intentional. And I think it is hot.

The daughter steals the show. She has this soliloquy that will knock your socks off. She is amazing, really. Very believable. And her character has to deal with some real cultural problems that are played well.

The mother is well played too, though she is the most "sterotyped" of the characters. And the daughter character in Sandler's family is nicely acted too.

Well, simply put, I recommend it highly. Unless you don't like tearjerkers and family pics. But if a cross between American Beauty, Punch Drunk Love and Story of Us sounds good to you... you need to see this movie.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?