.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>

Being your place on the web to make Pat feel all warm and snuggly... or just a place to type random text... ANYTHING to get those badgers, mushrooms and African snakes out of my head!

Monday, September 27, 2004

Zen Interview 

Today I had an interview that threw me for a loop.

I was being interviewed for a position at a movie poster design firm in Hollywood. It's a nice place.

The interview started with a 10 minute tour of the place. Then, back in the interviewer's office, I show off my portfolio for a few minutes. Then the guy gets a call... something about a package from a messenger up front. He says he will be right back.

20 minutes later, he returns, apologizes, says it will be only a few minutes more. Another 20 minutes later, he says he hasn't forgotten me and promises it will be just a couple more minutes. 30 minutes later, he pops in and swears it will be only a minute or two more. Finally, after an hour-and-a-half, he returns to finish the interview.

But before getting too far into the specifics of the job, he basically starts asking me if I'd be interested in the job. I try to ask some more insightful questions, but basically he wants to know if I can start in 2 days. Then he gets a call telling him that his temp for the week has to leave for an emergency. So he up and asks me if I'd like to start RIGHT NOW.

He wants to keep me freelance for a couple days, but then start salaried as soon as possible.

I begged off, saying I was busy today and tomorrow. I am interested, I just didn't feel comfortable giving an answer right there. Tomorrow we can discuss over the phone a dollar amount and then perhaps I will do a few days freelance to get a feel for the place.

I guess he was just anxious to fill the position. But I can't stop wondering if he spent that hour-and-a-half researching me or maybe just staring at me though a one-way mirror... cause he certainly didn't interview me.

Maybe it's just the new way of interviewing. Stick them in a room for 90 minutes and if they don't bolt after an hour, hire them.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?